I’ve always been fascinated with this sleek and elegant language.
Luckily, there is an abundance of resources online to fast-forward a learner’s acquisition process.
As with any other language, I’d promote the following steps:
- Start with an introductory course and get to know the basic grammar and pronunciation
- Next, get a Swedish children’s book (e.g. this) and read it a couple of times using a dictionary
- Get some Swedish friends online and practice your conversation skills
- Watch a good Swedish film (e.g. Ondskan) – start slowly, Swedish pronunciation is the tricky part
- Spend some time in Sweden
- Get free Swedish books online and read them side-by-side with their English counterparts
- Listen to Swedish podcasts, watch Swedish news, watch Swedish TV channels
A quick list of resources:
- Lexin – Swedish Dictionary (English, Albanian, Arabic, Bosnian, Croatian, Finnish, Greek, Kumandji, Russian, Serbian, Somalian, Sorani, Spanish, Turkish) – a perfect learning aid, I even use it to learn Finnish :)
- Project Runeberg – a Swedish version of Project Gutenberg (includes texts in Norwegian, Danish and English)
- BeelineTV – watch TV channels from various countries online
- Online courses: link1, link2, link3, link4
Anyway, låt mig veta hur det går! :)