I grew up with classic Sierra and LucasArts adventure games.
I started playing them when I was six and we didn’t have English yet in school. As a result, much of my initial vocabulary was seeded by text-input games like Space Quest and Leisure Suit Larry 1.
Believe it or not, “use rubber” was one of my first and most remembered proper English phrases (although I would not really count Larry 1 among my favorites).
I fell in love with the creativity, writing, humor and puzzles, some of which would take me weeks to solve. Adventure games are what ultimately inspired me to become a programmer.
The genre has seen a bit of a comeback recently, and there is a growing number of amazing games coming out every year.
Here is my (growing) list of recommendations.
1. The Book of Unwritten Tales (2009 and 2011 on PC, Mac, Linux)
2. The Inner World (2013 on PC, Mac)
3. Broken Age (2014 act one on PC, Mac, Linux, iOS)
4. Blackwell Series (2006-2014, PC, iOS)
5. Machinarium (2009 on PC, Mac, Linux, PS3, PS Vita, iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry Playbook)
6. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (2013 on PC, PS3, X360)
7. The Cave (2013 on PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, Ouya, X360, PS3)
8. The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 (2014 early access on PC, Mac, Linux)
9. Deponia (2012 on PC, Mac, Linux)
10. The Journey Down (2010 on PC, Mac, Linux, iOS)
If you have any comments or other amazing adventure games to add to the list, please share. I may also update the list once I have played through my backlog.
More amazing games (arguably not in the same category):
Looking Forward To: